Tuesday 28 November 2017

The Role Of Gender Equality In The Upbringing Of Children
                                                 Blogged by: Ayden
It is no secret that from the moment a boy or girl is brought into this world that they are treated differently. Factors like, the clothing they wear, to the way they act impact  their future role in society. Since the beginning of time boys and girls have had their “roles” and expected attributes. Males have an expectation to be “masculine” as they are taught not to cry along with not to fear. They are tough to be assertive and Confident. Girls on the other hand, are taught to not be demanding or  assertive and to be “ladylike”. Unfortunately expectations such as these have ramifications. This is as society makes it seem that girls need to be treated differently for, no reason than the fact that they are girls  
In my own experience, my parents raised me very gender neutrally.  My mom being a feminist and activist has very often made sure that, I don't feel very different from my brother.  She very often had me share toys  and my clothes with my brother in order to treat us equally. My closet consisted of gender neutral clothes which, meant my brother got my “hand me downs”.  
With tons of influences such as, the media and female celebrities I became a pretty big “girly girl”, for a few years after my brother was born. When I first arrived in Ontario, at about age 7 I was still very “girly”.  My new elementary school was where I first experienced being called out for my gender neutral upbringing. This was surprising considering I was only about 7 at the time. This affected me as I wore lots of bright colours and jewlery but,  I also really enjoyed things such as soccer, pokémon and playing in the dirt with boys. Girls used to make fun of me for being myself and wanting to do those things. I made good friends with boys who at first mocked me for wanting to play “boys games”. They  eventually became my friends and let me participate.
Now I'm very neutral, I do wear things that most girls would wear and I still enjoy things such as, sports and video games. What I'm trying to prove is that your parents style of parenting can affect how you feel as a girl or boy. In my case I feel the pressures of society made me want to  “choose a side” but, I’ve instead choose no side and, decided to just be me.
                
References

Whichever Gender Neutral Restroom Sign | 6" x 6" | Blue/White: Office Products. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.amazon.com/Whichever-Gender-Neutral-Restroom-Sign/dp/B00J0DRRWC

No comments:

Post a Comment