Friday 24 November 2017

Soda and coffee are triggering anxiety disorders
Blog by Sarah

As an 18 year old girl, homework tends to become overwhelming as the semester advances. This causes me to depend on caffeine in order to remain alert late enough to complete my school work. Earlier in September 2017, I was diagnosed with severe anxiety & panic attacks due to a meltdown I had in my first period class from a test. Anxiety is excessive worry and panic attacks are the result of a mass amount of anxiety, provoking a heart attack-like feeling of panic. With this information, I began researching about my disorders and how they are triggered. I stumbled across this website, suggesting that caffeine increases your heart rate in order to keep you awake. With panic attacks and anxiety, your heart rate increases and may form intense chest pain. Putting these two concepts together, the website stated that the heart rate increase resembles panic attack and anxiety heart rates. This made sense to me, due to the mass amount of caffeine I consumed in order to succeed in my studying for my test the very next day. It is often told that if you fall asleep anxious, you’ll wake up anxious due to the lack of mental recovery. Therefore I am warning my fellow peers that it is important to avoid caffeine if you have potential anxiety disorders. Stay safe and make healthy choices Timberwolves!

Image references: http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17700000/Cup-of-coffee-coffee-17731301-1680-1050.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment